Local discount application - North Somerset Council
Please use this form to apply for discretionary local discount.
Temporary relief can be considered if you are either a new or expanding business within the district.
The council has introduced new guidelines for discretionary relief with effect from 1 April 2016. A copy of the guidelines and council’s corporate plan can be found on our website:- http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/my-business/business-rates-payments
The council will include the following considerations when making our decision:-
Type of business
- Is your business unique, or are others offering similar products/services?
- Would any award have an anti-competitive effect?
- Does your business offer products/services that are specifically sought by the council?
Effect on area
- What positive impact would your business have for local residents and taxpayers?
Number of employees
- What is the number of (projected) employees from within North Somerset?
- Is your business located within a specific area of development or interest for the council?
- What have you done to make your business viable, before applying for this relief?
- Would any potential award make a positive difference to your business?
To apply for relief, please complete and submit the form below, and upload your latest set of audited accounts, or your financial projection (if you are a new business).
Please note that we will be unable to consider your application unless it is supported with the required proof.
After your application has been considered, you will be notified of the council’s decision in writing. If you are successful, a revised bill or refund will be issued. If you are unsuccessful, we will explain the reasons why, and provide you with details of how to appeal if you wanted to challenge the council’s decision.
If you have received a rates bill from the council, you should continue to make payments against your current instalment plan whilst your application is being considered.
Please remember to contact the council immediately if your circumstances change, after the return of this application form.
We aim to process your information within 5 working days.
North Somerset Council is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office for the purposes of processing personal data.
The information you provide will be held and used in accordance with UK and European data protection law.
For further details on how we use your personal information in the delivery of the non-domestic rates service, please read our full privacy notice available at - privacy notices and data protection
If you have any concerns about how your personal data is handled, please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@n-somerset.gov.uk